Costa Rica! The Coast to the Clouds Adventure
A NEW Photography Workshop with Joe McNally and Tamara Lackey
Participant: $9,125 USD | Companion: $5,800 USD
Gorgeous beaches, waterfalls, cloud forests, tropical rain forests…Costa Rica provides some of the most unique biodiversity in the entire world. Impossible to choose one location! No better team than Joe McNally and Tamara Lackey to uncover all this amazing country has to offer in a brand new photographic adventure. Exploration and uniqueness is one of the key highlights to this workshop since we will combine a variety of opportunities including wildlife photography, bird photography, and portrait photography. All with private transportation, guides and exclusive lodging (without any other guests) at the beautiful beachfront location of Alma del Pacifico and the luxury Relais & Chateaux ecolodge - El Silencio.
The truly unique aspect of this workshop is that at both our beach and cloud forest locations, our group will occupy the entire hotel, giving our group an extraordinary opportunity to relax and develop community. Dedicated learning from these two widely acclaimed photographers in this beautiful country will not only improve your photography skills, but enrich your soul. A wonderful way to see more than one region of Costa Rica!
The wide range of photographic opportunities and subject matter reflects the remarkable diversity in the country of Costa Rica, so the goal is to get a deeper look and not just one aspect. An integral part of the workshop includes hands-on instruction, including lighting demonstrations combining flash and natural light, and dedicated post-processing sessions with real-time editing walkthroughs using ON1 Photo Raw. Don't miss a unique opportunity to learn from two of the world's best photography instructors and explore a magical place with fellow photographers.
Note the below itinerary is subject to change based on weather and other conditions.
- October 18, 2023: Workshop Begins in San Jose at the Gran Hotel Costa Rica for 1 Night and a wonderful Welcome Dinner.
- October 19 - 21, 2023: Travel to the Pacific Coast and check into Alma del Pacifico for 3 Nights for an exclusive stay without any other guests. While on the west coast, we'll have a beachfront model photo shoot, hike in Carara National Park and a private Tarcoles River Safari, in addition to ongoing instruction and demonstrations.
- October 22 - 26 2023: Travel north to the Cloud Forest and check into El Silencio for 5 Nights for an exclusive stay without any other guests. While in the Cloud Forest region we'll hike to waterfalls, have a photography shoot with professional models, visit the onsite Hummingbird Garden, meet for critique and post-processing classes and so much more!
- October 27, 2023: Workshop Ends in Bajos del Toro at El Silencio, centrally located in Costa Rica and @90 minutes from (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport, where we will assist in transportation needs for departures.
- 10 Days/ 9 Nights! Visit the beautiful Pacific coastline of Costa Rica and its magnificent Cloud Forest. Two vastly different locations in one trip.
- One-on-One time with two TOP instructors! Hands-on instruction, portrait photography with lighting demonstrations and professional models, wildlife and bird photography, critique sessions, workflow instruction and dedicated post-processing sessions with ON1 Photo Raw.
- Private transportation during the Workshop. Experienced tour company with knowledgeable, licensed guides.
- Exclusive Lodging with no other guests at our beachfront resort Alma del Pacifico (3 nights) and at our luxury ecolodge - El Silencio (5 nights)
- Participant Rate: $9,125.00 USD + Companion Rate: $5,800.00 USD (same room occupancy)
- Customized, Unique Experience with fellow photographers and a dedicated staff!
Tamara Lackey is a renowned professional photographer, speaker, author and program host. Her authentic photography, from portraits to humanitarian photography, is featured in a myriad of major media outlets. As a Nikon USA Ambassador, Tamara was invited, as one of two photographers, to speak on stage and present her photography at the Nikon Global Launch Event in Tokyo, introducing a new line of ground-breaking mirrorless camera systems. Tamara teaches at quite a range of programs, seminars, and conventions, from delivering presentations at Google, Disney, and Harvard to leading mentor treks to delivering workshops internationally. She is also the author of nine books on photography and has co-produced and hosted a series of global live broadcasts, a long-running web show and is the host of Chasing Frames, a television show focused on capturing experiences and adventures through photography, found on PBS.org.
Tamara is also the co-founder of Beautiful Together, a non-profit focused on supporting children living in crisis and animals in need of refuge. Beautiful Together is currently in the process of building out 83 acres of land in Chapel Hill, North Carolina as a home for their work of connecting the vulnerable and the voiceless in ways that benefit all.
Acclaimed, award-winning photographer Joe McNally is known worldwide as the quintessential “pro’s pro;” an extremely versatile, deeply experienced assignment photographer whose jobs have brought him to over 70 countries and counting.
McNally is often described as: Authentic, empathetic and articulate, an exceptionally skilled technical photographer who pairs extraordinary camera know-how with a vivid imagination and an ongoing, vibrant creativity. Always curious, always adapting to the conditions at hand and the relentless advances in camera technology, he has photographed FIVE cover stories for the National Geographic (amongst an overall FIFTEEN coverages), and SEVEN covers of LIFE Magazine. He photographed the very first all-digital coverage for National Geographic, which was considered such a significant, watershed moment in the history of that venerable publication that the entire coverage has been incorporated into the archives of the U.S Library of Congress. In addition to inspiring editorial work, McNally has covered FOUR Olympics (with number FIVE looming in Paris in 2024) for such diverse clients as ABC Television, Sports Illustrated and TIME magazine. McNally is known for his penchant to get his camera in “a different place” and has twice climbed the world’s tallest building, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, in addition to climbing the Empire State Building four times. He is that rare photographer who has successfully made the bridge between the commercial world and the editorial world, and is highly regarded by clients for his versatility, and willingness to be a team player. Joe McNally, a proud Nikon Ambassador, has an extraordinary ability to photograph simple assignments with intimacy and grace, as well as master movie-scale productions with large crews, tremendous pressure and countless moving parts.